Upper Chichester Township. - In the early days of the province of Pennsylvania, the term Chichester was used to indicate that part of Chester County now known as Upper and Lower Chichester Townships. Chichester had been surveyed prior to 1686, and, at the October court of that year, the justices ordered "that the township of Chichester extend its bounds as formerly laid out by Charles Ashcom until further order. The peculiar western line, which separates Upper Chichester from Bethel Township, was run to conform to the lines of the tracts surveyed to the early settlers and certainly a more irregular line would be difficult to lay out.
Among the earliest settlers was Walter Martin, founder of St. Martin's Church. Adjoining his land to the east were 250 acres surveyed to Jeremiah Collett, June 16, 1682. The latter was an earnest churchman, and by will devised a certain sum of money for the support of the rector of St. Martin's Church. Other settlers came in rapid succession roads were built; churches, schools and mills followed; and the routine of a prosperous rural township constitutes the history of Upper Chichester. The water courses are Naaman's Creek, its east and west branches, and Marcus Hook Creek; good roads prevail, and the Baltimore & Ohio railroad crosses the township with stations at Twin Oaks, Boothwyn and Ogden. The public schools are excellent, being known as Larkin or No. 3, Twin Oaks or No. 2, Boothwyn or No. 1. Two Friends' Meetings exist in the township; the Presbyterian and Methodist, also having places of worship. The population in 1910 was 671. The villages are Boothwyn, population about 125; Twin Oaks and Ogden Station (Hance P. O.)